Periodontal disease, more commonly called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable, but if you get it, it is also treatable at St. Mary’s Dental in Mechanicsville MD.
This condition is so widespread in the US that it has been called a ‘health crisis’ by the American Dental Association. Here are five critical facts about gum disease.
- If left untreated, it can cause irreversible damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing daily oral hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of tooth decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease generates no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, substandard oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Contact St. Mary’s Dental:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):